Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Greater Secret

The Secret by Rhonda Byne makes an interesting read about the power of a focussed mind to obtain whatever you want in life, be it a new car, house, promotion at work etc. It seems that a number of people of different religions have embraced this idealogy as it was my Hindu friend who enthusiastically introduced me to the series video. He talked about creating a vision board with photos of whatever he wanted to achieve or obtain. The points about focus are valid, however, for the Christian believer, this teaching leans toward the New Age movement as it points to the universe and not God our Creator as our source in life.

The Apostle Paul knew of a greater "Secret".

Our Happiness is:
not based on what we have or do not have,
not based on what we achieved or failed to achieve. 

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (Philippians 4:12 NIV)

I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. (Philippians 4:12, 13 MSG)

Our happiness is in the Lord and not stuff and achievements.

For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh— though I myself have reasons for such confidence.
If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless. But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, (Philippians 3:3-8, 13, 14, 18-20 NIV)

Paul was an acomplished scholar, a "Hebrew of Hebrews", a professor of the Law in his days - a major accomplishment which took years of hard work and study. He had a high status among Hebrew society and was among the elite in society.

But whatever were gains/achievements to him, he considered as garbage.

Our happiness is not based on what we achieved or obtained.

I'm writing this entry to encourage believers who have feel discouraged for not "achieving" or "attaining" a certain level of success as other believers.

Many times, we like to compare ourselves with others to gauge how "well" we are doing

"If my neighbour's car, house or even ministry is bigger and better than mine, then something must be wrong..."

Growing up in church and school, I used to be upset when just about everybody I know has surpassed me. Even those who joined my church later than me were promoted as youth leaders and have gone onto work full time in church.
Even my former classmates have surpassed me - they have high paying jobs, live in fancy apartments and drive nice cars.

And me- I take the bus, live with my parents until my budget apartment is completed in 2 years. To top it off, I'm fighting off 2 cancers and my new business just lost 2/3 of my clients. This is among a host of other challenges I face. For the longest time I felt that my life has been stuck in 1st gear. (or in reverse at times)

I can go through all things through Christ who stengthens me!
My happiness in in Him

So what if your ministry has only 20 people and you have been laboring for the past 20 years and your contemporary built a mega church in half that time.

As long as you have been faithfully doing what God told you to do, you are ok. God is only interested in obedience, not the "success" one attains through their own strength and sacrifice. A good idea does not automatically make it a God idea.

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,
and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings. (Hosea 6:6 NIV)

My wife used to work in Canada in a ministry that focussed on the elderly/physically and mentally handicapped. What touched me the most was the faithfulness and obedience to the call of God. It is not easy to operate a ministry like that as it takes dedication. Will it ever become a mega church? Well, the ministry tends to be the last port of call before eternity...

Be happy where you are in life. Don't compare yourself with others or use achievement as a gauge for your walk with God.